Thursday, April 21

FOr a long time I doubted my right to have a say on John Paul and his works because I am not catholic.

But the recent essay by Orson Scott Card on his website www.ornery.org has given me a boldness to note my 2 cents worth here. Well, that and a comment my 5 y old made while watching one of the many tribute tv programmes to the life of JPII.

He watched the show silently with me, perking up only when Jesus Christ is mentioned, because while he knew Jesus, he had no idea who the Pope was. But at the end of the show, he said,' Wow that was a nice man, huh ,mummy? So good." And just as I was smiling with parental pride , he slammed me with," I think maybe he is as good as Jesus."

If a 5 year old child could see that JPII was a man who lived by the ideals of love, joy and peace that our Saviour taught, why did so many adults have a problem with it? Onthe other hand, was his observation of the Pope as someone "as good as Jesus", taking away the glory and adoration that should only be to our Lord and Saviour. It boggled my mind for a while, and I would be intersted to hear what anyone else thinks.

No comments: