Friday, August 4

Tonight we dance!

Its been a great social experiment, coming home early all week, and seeing how the household reacts to my presence on a daily basis.

Feelings were mixed.

Some were genuinely happy to seeing, running pell mell to the door, with stars in the eyes, and a big four-limb hug (thats when kids take a running start, jump up, and hug you with arms around your neck and legs around your torso. Its like wearing a 45 pound necklace).

Some pretend that they didn't really notice you there because it may betray some deep macho part of their demeanour that is told to feel nothing and react to nothing (thanks, John Wayne, for perpetuating THAT myth.)

The good things that have come out of this come home early experiment are:

1) I have spent less money this week.
2) My son is actually prepared for his English and Tamil spelling tests waaay ahead of schedule.
3) I got to watch "Judging Amy", "Boston Legal", "Trick it Out" and a variety of other good stuff.
4) Am getting to eat my husband's wonderful cooking while I can.

But tonight is different. I get to do my two most favourite things - bible study and dance! Yes, this is the night where all the salseros gather at a humble dance studio in Carpenter St and wow each other with slick moves, passion and a whole lot of sweat.

The best thing about these impromptu salsa gatherings is that you get to practise without anyone looking down their nose at you. The next to best thing is that you get to watch the pros dance. And they make it look sooo good, so easy. I tend to develop this look of pained concentration when I dance, but they are laughing and whooping. One day, I will be like that too- once I find dance shoes that accomodate my flat feet.

And of course there is no cigerette smoke or drunk Romeos to contend with, unlike in clubs. (We do our drinking after the dancing!)

So come join me and let's baile!

No comments: