Monday, August 3

parenting

I need a manual. Really. The personality changes and emotional rollercoasters that my kid has been on lately, I have no idea how to deal with it. Are you supposed to hit puberty when you are 10?

I realise that while the mature kid in him listens to me reason it out, the petulant child whines and carries on. Over the weekend, we had a battle of wills a few times, until out of sheer exhasution, I did the unforgivable. I hit the kid.

He didn't cry, but the look of intense pain, fury and hurt he gave me was horrible and terrifying. Immediately, "What have you done?" razed through my brain.

I came clean, told my brother about it, and he took Hanan aside for some mano a mano counselling. And I am glad i could draw on his support for this.

But what if it happens again? And again? What if in frustration, Hanan says something to hurt me?

I need a manual.

***

I have a manual.
The bible is full of wisdom on how to raise a child.

Spare the rod, and spoil the child.

Do not provoke your child to anger.

Train a child in the way he should go.

Teach him God's commandments.


I haven't exactly been following the manual. It's time for a refresher. From the Refresher.

2 comments:

tiffanygoh said...

*hugs*

i don't know parenting stuff, but i do know hanan is blessed to have a mother who loves him so much.

(:

hang in there ya.

shroom said...

i think you're a great mom, nal. we're all human i.e. imperfect... so don't be discouraged!!! we're all learning and growing!!!

*picks up pom-poms and starts cheering*
you can do it!