Wednesday, February 9

Mini Movie Reviews

Thanks to a steady steady bo pi pi movie buddy, I have watched more movies in the last 6 weeks than I have the whole of last year, probably. While I am immensely grateful that I have had the time, resources and company to do so, I also realise that I have been remiss in doing proper movie reviews for each of them. So, in a bid to document the movies I have watched, and to pen down my thoughts on them before they forever flee my memory, here is a mini movie review. (Thanks movie buddy for helping me remember them:) )

1) Gulliver's Travels
Like many Jack Black movies, this fell short of the comic genius it had the potential for. Unlike the passion and comic timing displayed in Nacho Libre or the intensity of School Of Rock, I felt that he was just phoning this in. Not cool, Jack, not cool. And I am a fan.


2) Love and Other Drugs
The poster for this movie completely belied the sheer intensity of emotion and pathos that this movie presented. Brilliantly casted, Anne and Jake really made you care for the characters and made me cry, time and again.

3) The Tourist
Johnny, were you saw enthralled about making a film with ice queen Angelina, that you accepted all the flaws in directing and editing this movie? She really ruined it for all of us didn't she? And there you were, trying so hard to be real, making us feel your heartache, when she displayed all the emotional range of a Vulcan.

4) Green Hornet
Is it me, or does Jay Chou look like John Cho when he has that mask on? The highlight of the movie for me was "Gangsta's Paradise'. Everthing else was merely meh, or cringingly bad.

5) Burlesque
Cher and Christina make an amazing vocal combination for this vocal-crazy movie. I loved all the showmanship and costumes and man, can that Christina belt! Cher is really under-rated as an actress, I thought she pulled off the role incredible well. This is definitely one of the better movies I have seen this season, although it was faintly reminscent of "Moulin Rouge". Did anyone else think that?

6) Yogi Bear
Fun-filled movie, lots of slapstick and predictable gags. Watched it with my kid. Good entertainment.

7) The Fighter
This is the closest competitior so far for "Love and Other Drugs" as my fave movie of the year. A atypical bromance of two brothers, based on a true story, and the indescribable excellence of Christian Bale. I really hope he gets an OSCAR for this.


8)Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader
I loved this movie for the Jesus moments, or Jesus jukes, as some people call them. But I really do love me a good allegory. Tell me, whose hair didn't stand on end when Aslan showed up? We all knew what, or Who, we were seeing. I love that Lucy has grown up into such a lovely young woman and can't wait to see her in other movies.

And that's it for now. Watching Black Swan tomorrow. Hopefully, there will be a full review of it.

No comments: