Wednesday, April 28

Making memories with mama

Doing this skit for mother's day really makes me think about my relationship with my mother. She turns 61 this Friday and suddenly, I realise I am at the age where I first noticed her getting old. It surprisingly coincides with the time I became a teenager, but I am sure adolescent angst had nothing to do with the way I perceived her. (tongue firmly in cheek)

At 37, my mother was grumpy - alot. Everything I did annoyed her. I remember there was once I came home from school and was sitting at the table talking to her when suddenly, suddenly, she flew into a rage because I was sitting around in my uniform. It was confusing, it was like "you just noticed? I been sitting here for 30 minutes!"

At 37, my mother was not very sociable. She went to work, she came home. No parties, no exercise, no trips to visit people, nothing. It bothered me that she was quite happy pottering around her plants, or sitting in semi-darkness, listening to Tamil film music from the 40s and 50s. Aren't people who need people the luckiest people? I didn't get it.

At 37, my mother was very tired. She slept alot, in the afternoons, early in the evenings, on a bus, in a cab. All the time.

Now that she is 61, she is one of the most happening women. Her days are packed with morning runs, social visits, trips to JB, gatherings, parties. Ever since semi-retirement, its like her life really took off.

And I am tired. and grumpy. and not very sociable.

We have come full circle.

No comments: