Thursday, May 3

Movie Review - Spiderman 3

Spiderman 3 marks the beginning of the wondeful summer season of very watchable movies coming our way - POTC, Shrek, Transformers and Fantastic Four. I guess you can add Harry Potter to that list as well, although I won't be watching it.

But back to good ol' Peter Parker. Except he wasn't very good in this one was he? No siree, he decided to explore his bad side, the side that is vengeful, bitter, horny and cruel. We all have it, which is why Sipderman will always be my favourite reluctant superhero.

I really enjoyed the bad guys in this one. Not one, but three! Sandman was a great character, especially to produce with CGI effects and all, bet the geeks had fun with that one. And of course Venom, with that lovely mouthful of teeth. And then of course the best one of all, whose come back was not exactly unexpected by anyone who has seen 1 and 2.

Mary Jane, despite all her screaming glory, was a better developed character this time around. It's important for us to see her weakness; I felt she was too one-dimensional in the first 2. I liked her mean, bitchy side, and they should have done so much more with that. What's the point of all that red hair, when your character is not even as fiesty as your hairdo? (Yes, I just don't like Kirsten Dunst.)

One of the Spidey fans that I spoke to was a little disappointed by the whole "It-came-from-outer-space" cop-out on the black goo. Admittedly, it was a bit contrived. But writing it as a science experiment gone wrong would have made this a 3 hour movie, and that point, we might as well throw in 3 songs and a fight scene as well.
And why did the goo jump on Spidey and not MJ? Curiouser and curiouser. I hate it when plots have holes big enough to fall through.

Still, go watch Spiderman 3. I can think of worse ways to spend an afternoon.

1 comment:

Reel Fanatic said...

Great review .. I'm going to see this at midnight tonight (even though I have to work early tomorrow morning!) and I just can't wait