Monday, February 18

Hungry...

I need a new bible.

*Deep breath*
Every since my beautiful leatherbound Nelson bible - NKJV version - got left behind in a taxi by some careless goondu who shall remain nameless, I have been at loose ends for a good one.

I have a few at home that I have used at one time or another, but I want one that speaks to me where I am now, you know. But, with the exception of that one, I have every bible I ever got and they all are indicative of who I was at the time.

Let me try and recall them.

Good News Bible - my very first one when I was 11. My mum used to send my brother and I to vacation bible school to get us out of her hair, and one of the older "akkas" gave it to me. I remember the first passage I ever read was Daniel in the lion's den, because we were supposed to act it out the next day. I was Daniel.

Hardcover NIV Bible - 14 years old. This was a gift from my aunt, before I left for India. It was a great source of comfort to me during those 6 long, lonely months, and I think that's when my relationship with God really grew. He was the only one I had. I remember I used to sleep with the bible under my pillow, just for the security and comfort it brought. Of course I cracked it open every once in a way also.


The tiniest KJV in the world. 16 years old. My first true love gave it to me. He had underlined the entire chapter of Corinthians 13, and written above it, "I love you so." Its ironic how the word of God has outlasted him. But isn't that the way it is? Anyway, the whole bible is printed in point size 4 or something, so its really more a keepsake than anything else.


Nelson NKJV - 19 years old. That which got lost in my taxi. My uncle Henry gave it to me when I got baptised. It was perfect. The right font size. Wonderful cross references and study guides. Wide margins for copious notes. Fit in the palm of my hand exactly. I wonder whose palm it fits now. I hope he/ she loves it as much as me. I hope I don't see one of its pages the next time I buy Kachang puteh at the cinema.

Nelson NKJV Mini version. This was not as small as the tiny KJV mentioned before, but it is pretty darn small. Fits in my handbag, along with a notebook for sermon notes. Good for carrying around, but I want something a bit bigger for my private study and reading time. This one was given to me by Changi Prison Chapel - Young People Chapter. Wow, that feels like a whole lifetime ago. But I am pleased to say some of them are still my dearest friends. Rhordan, Chin, Mok, Ray, Kok Hong, Thiru -I love you all, and I still love my little bible.

I think I will get myself to one of them shops this weekend and buy one. It's time, I feel myself entering another stage. I want to document it in parallel with the greatest story ever told.

PostscriptI really do have the best friends. The day after this post, I met one of the aforementioned people for dinner and he presents me with a brand new NKJV Nelson's bible.

How not to love him, you tell me?

No comments: