Tuesday, June 10

I saw Indiana Jones 4 twice

Yes. It is true. It was every bit as disappointing as everyone made it out to be, but I spent hard earned money and saw it twice.

Why? Because I forgot I promised my mum I would take her to it. And if I told her I already saw it, I would never hear the end of it.

So I lied, and pretended I didn't see it yet, and oohed and aahed and ewwed in all the right places.

Don't ever tell me I am not a consumate actress.

Ok, IJ4 wasn't that bad. It's just that if you were a fan of the series, then it was a bit disappointing. I was trying to put my finger on it, until I read this review by my favourite writer and then I realised he was absolutely right. What made Indy cool in 1 and 3 were the realistic, based-on-fact storylines. Which is also what made Temple of Doom so sucky.

IJ4's ending was more ridiculous than Temple of Doom, which at least had the saving grace of that cute little kid whose name escapes me at the moment. Till the last 15 minutes, it was a very good action-adventure flick, but then it was like they just couldn't decide whether to make it metaphysical or science fiction, and went hey, let's do both!! Geez Louise, pick a plot already.

However, how about that Shia LeBeouf eh? I thought he was quite brilliant in this movie, not quite stealing Harrison Ford's thunder, but coming pretty darn close sometimes. I think they probably wrote his part down a bit, so he wouldn't overshadow the big man himself. But I am gonna watch this kid, I think he will go far.

IJ4 is not a bad movie the way Aeonflux was bad, but it's not what one would expect from the Spielberg-Lucas powerhouse. This one won't be winning any awards, boys. Unless there is a category for "Cheesiest Ending with cliched punchline"

No comments: