Monday, June 9

Waiting for Lontong

Everyday, the place I work has a designated menu for staff lunch, which comprises 2 usually rather delicious dishes, which are available to staff for just over $3. The offering are usually quite respectable, comprising mainly of local dishes like fish curry, fried HK noodles and the odd continental dish like fish and chips.

Today's menu was pineapple fried rice or chicken lontong. I decided on the chicken lontong, because of my problem with pineapple (gives me ulcers)

I placed my order at 12.20pm. And waited. My tardy colleagues from marcom arrived 10 minutes later.

And waited. My tardy colleagues received their food. (pineapple rice was probably pre-made, I tell myself)

And waited. Tardy colleagues finished lunch and were talking about dessert and coffee (maybe they ran out of lontong and were making fresh ones, I reasoned).

And waited. Tardy colleagues finish coffee and head back to work, leaving me to the company of coleagues who came after me. And who were happily eating their pineapple rice.

And waited. I am reminded that my lunch hour is not in fact an hour, but 45 minutes. Something to do with working 44 hours and still getting alternate Saturdays off. Anyway...

Finally a platter containing what does NOT look like pineapple rice arrives and is placed in front of me. Time check: 1.15pm.

Just for the record, I am not a patient person. On the contrary, I hate waiting and have a 10 minute waiting threshold for appointments and meetings.

So why did I do all that waiting? I think I just wanted to see how far they would go. And now I know. one near bloody hour. And did anyone apologise or explain the situation? No.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that we pay a subsidised price. However, as my friend Chin would say, "But still!!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Do I really say "But still" that often?

nAl said...

No Honey, you don't. But it was wierd and kooky and altogether delightful and I am glad you introduced that phrase into my life. Because sometimes there really is nothing else to say.