Tuesday, May 23

What a crappy disappointment the Camp Comedy show was. I can't beleive that sponsors actually gave money to an event that was so badly organised and with such lousy acts. Unless you are a full blown fag hag, or a die hard groupie who wanted to support any kind of alternative entertainment, this show was a complete let down.

For one thing, the star of the show didn't even show up. Yes, Kumar was no where to be found, and for people like me and my cousin, who were there only to see him, it was an aggravating mistake. Especially after Irene Ang's constant references to his act, even quoting his lines. I wonder if he is ok with people using his name to advertise an event he didn't even play at. Or does Fly Entertainment own his ass, and they can do anything they want..

Secondly, the 3 acts that did grace the stage were, at best, mediocre. Rick Lau is a good performer and has a great voice, but so much of his act was in Cantonese, that he just about lost me.

Broadway Beng gave more of his stage time to Irene Ang's dad, who decided that by offering Sebastian (B.Beng) a beer, he could pretty much do anything. So he took over and decided to sing, and Sebastian let him take up about 5 mins of the 20 min segment. If I wanted to hear someone's drunk dad sing, I would have gone to my father's house. Man did have a good voice though.

Again, most of Broadway Beng's act was in Hokkien, so I "liak bo kiu". Next time a show has that much Chinese in it, can tell us first or not? Then the rest of us non-elite Chinese people can go Ashoka instead right?

And the last act, Lounge-zilla, which was supposed to be this wonderful act from the US that "people were dying to see again" and "came back a second time for" - sucked.

His over-the-top diva actress was weak and insipid, his jokes too far removed from local context, his drag act barely making it. And what's with the flowers attached to your crotch??? What the hell was that supposed to mean? It was crass,crude and common.

All in all, it was a disappointment. Fly Entertainment owes us all an apology for daring to put up something that horrendously amateur and then having the gall to charge us $42 for it.

I drank my very expensive gin and tonic (if you consider that's all the ticket was good for)and left as soon as the dumb foreign act exited. The door bitch at Zouk still had the nerve to ask,"Aren't you staying on to party?" I glared at him and in my coldest voice, said, "Stay for what? See Irene's dad dance on the podium ah?"

Wah Lau.

1 comment:

ah_neh said...

Steady la. U is my hero.