Friday, June 22

The Cold Freeze

A strange vibe came over the office once everyone knew through the grapevine that I am leaving. They are not supposed to know, because the official email has not been sent out yet, but everyone knows it all the same.

So there are weird happenings, like:

1) People smile meaningfully at you, without saying a word.

2) Conversations stop when you walk into the vicinity (always pleasant, that)

3) Colleagues who feel they should have been told start giving you the cold shoulder.

4) You stop getting cc’ed on emails. Your spam mail exceeds company email.

5) People watch what you are printing, photocopying surreptitiously. “Oh I am just here to get my stuff” and then walk away with nothing. Yeah, right.

6) Your desk gets cleaner and cleaner. No one dumps stuff into your in tray and you can have a good old fashioned paper throw. Also, you are handing work out left, right and centre, which will help with the cleanup.

7) People who are in the know slip up, and then look as guilty as heck about putting their foot in their mouth. It’s cute to watch.

8) Suddenly people come up to you and start talking about how they should spread their wings and try something new and what did I think. I see right through it, man. I should just come out and say, “Are you fishing for information? Cos I am a vault, baby, locked down!”

9) The IT department gets really busy around you. Things are being deleted, access is being denied. Our IT guys is really nice. He gave me a heads up on where some of my “weak spots” are. Like deleting all my MSN archives for example. Duh, I didn’t even think of that.

10) And finally, people who hate you suddenly look happier and smile a lot more. Well, I am glad I am leaving too, buddy.

It’s gonna be a rough week and a half. Hang in there with me.

2 comments:

Sangeeta said...

hugs babes. i cld never have imagined so much drama existed at the work place.

Anonymous said...

ahhh.... interesting experience.. jut gotta take it in ur stride ya........ all the best in yor new job! -shan