Monday, November 13

Celebrity Spotting

Last week, I seemed to have had my more-than-fair share of run-ins with a few of my heroes. Of course, I totally understand if these names and people mean nothing to you. But I was quite thrilled to bits lah.

Celeb #1: Elim Chew

Who: Entrepreneur and owner of 77th Street

Place: WDA Learning Festival last Tuesday

How: Joyce and I were sitting there, totally enthralled by the speaker, when I heard a loud whisper at the beginning of my row (I was about 4 seats in, with one spare seat next to me). I look up to smile and the newcomer and make them feel welcome when lo and behold, it was Elim Chew! (She also owned a hair salon called Elim Emmanuel back in the late 80s and I used to get my hair cut there). I tried to play it cool and would have succeeded of not for Joyce jabbing and excitedly whispering, very loudly, "That's Elim Chew. (swoon)"!

Miss Chew then proceeded to take notes of the entire seminar. I am not talking a jot here or a point there. I am talking about nearly word for word, speed typing here. She typed down everything that was said (even participant questions), boldly hazarded answers to the speaker's questions and did not flinch when she was wrong.
Note-takers ARE history makers.

I was so inspired by her. Wow!

Click here to read more about Elim Chew


Celeb #2: Ravi Veloo

Who: Caustic and bold journalist from the 80s and early 90s.

Place: Esplanade, while watching the Kalinga Trilogy on Saturday

How: Goke and I got what I thought were really good seats at the Theatre Studio when we were informed that one of the seats we took was being reserved for a friend. Obediently, we scooted up, closer to the aisle. A man with long hair tied in an untidy ponytail enters and tried to get to that seat, practically sitting on Goke's lap on the way. She then recognises him as Ravi Veloo and casually introduces us.

I was glad that neither of them could see that I was beside myself. Totally star struck and a little in awe. Ravi Veloo's column was one that I read without fail and used for all the newspaper clipping projects we did for English and GP. He was my journalism hero. His articles, always spiced with a bit of dissent and disagreement, was the closest thing you could find to true journalism in the Straits Times back then. At least that's how I felt. Everything else was lifted from AP or Reuters anyway.

I listened with stars in my eyes as Goke and he discussed the sorry state of journalism in the world today. He talkd about different attitudes and how journalism across the causeway is so much more amiable, even though the competition is higher. It was truly an honour. It was a great way to spend the 10 mins before the play started.

Again, wow!

To read one of Mr Veloo's articles, click here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aha! explains, no wonder u were very clear abt 'yes this is ravi veloo and not ravi velloor, st's india bureau chief' : ) goke

Anonymous said...

yeah!for a second i thought u were referring to ravi velloor too.
but man does this ravi veloo write a brilliant article in the link you so nicely provided for us. SCATHING!