Monday, November 20

Promenade Shopping

Last Saturday, I did 2 things I haven't done in a long time.

1) Go shopping with a 16 year old

2) Go shopping for a prom dress.

My cousin Shalini, who is finally free of her "0" level shackles, asked me to go prom dress shopping with her. I, of course, assumed this was because of my impeccable taste in clothes and indubitable "coolness" factor.

I forgot how 16 years shop.

To give you an idea of the ordeal, we started at 10:30 and didn't make a decision till 4 pm.

Naturally, the perfect outfit was not even at the place we decided to shop, but about 5 bus stops away.

Teenage girls are really finicky. They have these naturally stick-thin bodies that looks wonderful in anything. But of course they have to find the tiniest fault and blow it waay out of proportion. Some of the more choice ones I heard in the course of the day were

1) "I look short." Well, she is about 5 feet nothing. No surprises there.

2) "You can see the spots on my arms in this." A few tiny freckles.

3) "The front looks ok but the side makes my hips look big." What hips? I wonder how her jeans stay up.

4) "It's ok if I stand up, but when I sit, my stomach folds in." I totally don't get this one at all.

5) "It's a definite maybe. Put it on the KIV list." There's an oxymoron for you. There were 4 outfits on KIV.

Finally we decided on a dress. She looks like a tawny Greek Nymph in it. Beautiful. I will post pictures if she lets me.

Of course the dress is just the beginning. Now she has to do earrings, necklaces, shoes, bag, make up, nails, hair and 'tude. She has already decided she is going to eat nothing but tofu and salad till this Thursday, and in case that doesn't work, jog 5 km every night.

Do guys go through even half of this for their prom preparations? Do tell guys, I am dying to know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAA oh god, this so reminds me of my own sister who at 16 HAD to have the perfect 'do, and succeeded in having abt a billion boys at her feet. your cousin cld be one VERY happy girl :P
and as far as i know, boys gel their hair, put on some clean undies (for once!) and their tux and shoes and scoot out of the house.

Madame Mahima said...

:S its not just you..i agree..16 year olds just arent whay they used to be (literally and figuratively!)
theyve changed so much since my time and im only 22 yrs old.
do post up pics of her! id love to see the dress she chose :D
(living vicariously thru her and all :( my school didnt even have a prom *sob*)

Anonymous said...

nah, we boys don't go through ANY of that... wonderful ain't it? lol