Thursday, November 2

I am already beautiful

I pulled my fare card out of my bag as I walked towards the train station. I was tempted to quicken my pace to match that of the other scurrying commuters, but in time reminded myself that I was not in a hurry, and had no train to catch, as it were.

The usual touts were hanging around outside the station. The donation seekers with their apologetic faces and pleading stance. The insurance agents with their little carpeted and furnished turf, looking slightly cocky and trying desperately to catch someone's eye.

And then there was this new group. Lithe and lanky, in tiny white dresses cinched with red belts, these women, who looked like they were cloned off each other, were selling beauty! With a larger-than-life poster of their spoke model in the corner to cheer them on, they approached the plump, the fluffy and the just plain fat with vigour, oblivious to the public humiliation they were causing.

"Excuse me, Miss? Do you need help to lose weight? Our new treatment is all natural and very effective! Now got promotion!"

I turned around to come face to face with this barely pubescent, slightly malnourished girl, who looked at me as expectantly as her heavily lacquered face would let me.

I threw her my usual line over my shoulder, dismissively, "No thanks. I don't need it."

"What do you mean? You don't need it? But you are quite fat, you know!", she exclaimed in disbelief and horror, her perfectly painted mouth falling open quite unflatteringly.

Wow, this one actually heard me, I thought.

Usually, when I say I don't need it, I get one of three responses.

1) Abject horror and dismay, but no further action, having being paralysed by intense emotions

2) Smirking superiority. You can almost see the thought bubble that says "Denial!" hovering over their heads.

3) Pure indifference as they scan and lock on to their next potential sales. This group seldom hears what you say and depends on non verbal signals to communicate.

But this girl actually responded. I decided to be a little mean and have a little fun.

"Yeah, I don't need it. I am already beautiful."

"But don't you want to be more beautiful?" she asked, a consummate salesperson.

"But what is more beautiful? A smaller waist? Long ruler-straight hair? Fairer skin? Larger breasts? Do you mean, to be thought beautiful, I have to look JUST LIKE YOU?"

Sister girl was dumbfounded. She just stared at me like the concept never occurred to her. I gave her a disarming smile, turned and walked away, my head held high.

I wonder how long it took before she decided to approach someone else. I hope I made her think just a little.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh BRAV-bloody-O! i have encountered countless incidents similar to yours which have left me seeeeeething.
the worst i reckon was when i'd literally stepped into raffles city mall and had an indian lady approach me with a sheet of paper clasped tightly between her fingers. it didnt even OCCUR to me tht she would be one of them stick insect promoters. but that was wht the piece of paper was: A WEIGHT LOSS AD. and when she gave me this agonisingly plastic sympathetic smile at my chubby plight, all i could think of was: dhrogi! (traitor!)

ooh and p.s. ive been reading ur blog for abt a mth now, and i like it immensely!

Galloping Ghost said...

You rock!
I myself wrote on a very similar subject today, so it was rather ironic when I stumbled along your blog. Why does everyone think that beauty has to be skin deep? Why does everyone have to match that one "image" to be beautiful? I’m glad to know that there are still people out there who like who they are despite society’s twisted idea of beauty.
Wow, what an amazing experience you had. I do hope that what you said to that girl makes a lasting impression. Keep up the good work with writing and with life!

nAl said...

Thank you Sargam and Manon for your edifying comments!

Manon, you are absolutely right in your blog. It is a sad day indeed when we have to constantly look to assimilate or be assimilated by our fellow man.

Resistance is constructive!

Infinite diversity in infinite combinations - Gene Roddenberry, creator of Star Trek