Wednesday, November 29

My Baby goes to camp


Should this baby be sent away to camp?

Today, my 7 year old cuts yet another apron string and goes to a stay-in camp.
This is the first time he has been away from home without me, and is not staying over at his grandma's (my mother's) house.

As I said goodbye to him this morning, with his backpack, sleeping bag and cheeky grin, a part of me did wonder - is this too early?

Should there be a few more years of holding on tightly to his hand as we cross the road? (Instead of my impatiently barked command, "Look left and right!")

Should I have volunteered to be a helper so that I can spy (read: protect) on my son while pretending to tell stories?

Than there is thaT other part that thinks the What-ifs?

What if he gets scared in the night,and has noone to run to and snuggle up with?
What if he pees in his sleeping bag?
What if he plays "show me yours and I'll show you mine" with some innocent 7 year old girl in the bathroom?
What if, what if, what if?

This is going to be the longest 3 days/2 nights ever.

No comments: