Sunday, September 3

Comex 06

Computer Expos are mad. And Comex is no exception. On the first day of the show, the carparks were full by 3. The show only opened at 12. And that's on a working day, when you would think most people would have better things to do. Who knew?

After 3 9-hour days at the Canon laser printer booth, there are some things I can say without engaging my brain now.

"We offer a one year onsite warranty, but only during the show!"
"$50 NTUC vouchers, if you buy during the show"
"Canon OEMs for a lot of brands, so who would you rather buy from?"

Now, if I had a $1 for everytime I said one of those lines, It would pay for my dinner at Brazil.

The highlight of the show for me is, I got to meet one of my childhood heroes. Those of you born before 1985 might remember V Sundramoorthy, our own celebrity footballer (besides Fandi lah). Well, he came early on Friday with one of his friends, and I got a chance to talk to him! Of course I didn't go on and on about what a fan I was (that will be so uncool), but I think I did stare and drool a bit.


Comex visitors really do come in all shapes and sizes. My favourites (NOT) are the couples who bring 4 children, 2 strollers and a maid carrying 3 bags. They park all the paraphenalia in front of the printers, while they hold hands and study specs together. This means of course that noone else can come look at the printers and the darn kids are stickyfying everything with their snot and saliva.

Then there are the "better-than-you" Indian expats who are all computer geniuses or some mess, and of course cannot ask an Indian woman for technical specs. What will that do to their self respect? Even if she is trained Canon staff. Damn asses.

The nicest people are of course the polite NUS and NTU hostelites, who need color laser printers to print out assignments and notes. All the tuition fees and no computer labs, poor buggers. So what if the running cost of that machine runs to at least a grand a year? Daddy can pay what.

But the deals at the show are the real thing. Some of the price slashing is just ridiculous and certainly worth braving the crowds.

Next show is Sitex in December. Gear up, its gonna be a short 3 months.

No comments: