Saturday, March 17

Fat Thursday

I took leave on Thursday to do about a million things. I think I accomplished about 3 of them fairly well, so those are the 3 I will write about here.


Snow City - I took Hanan and this little kid my aunt is tutoring called Hari to Snow City. Hanan and I had been wanting to do this for quite some time now and we finally got a chance. I was prepared mentally to not have a good time because I heard some really bad reviews of the place. But we actually had alot of fun. Sliding down the slope with your tush in the snow is quite a rush and watching Hanan and Hari's happy little faces gave me a real warm feeling inside, despite the -7 degrees temperature.
We bought one of those seriously expensive souvenir photos, which I will upload once I get a chance to scan it in.


Titoudao - after a quick lunch at Mac's, I rushed away to deposit the kids with Otrie while I continued my way down to the drama centre to watch a local play about the dying art of wayang. For a review, click here. We enjoyed it very much, even though half of it was in Hokkien, which is currently not my favourite dialect because of the copious amounts of it I have to listen to at work.
I have a new respect for Pamela Oei, after completely hating her in Dim Sum Dollies and it was a treat to watch Beatrice Chia play the overbearing mother-in-law. Karen Tan also deserves a special mention here, utterly beleivable both as the wayang actress and the lead character Ah Chiam's sister in law.


Anyway, the play ended and we spent a while photo whoring in the foyer, when Elgin ran into one of his friends who was in the cast. And she, beautiful soul that she is, literally ran around getting autographs of the entire cast for us. And that's how Elgin and I have copies of the programme ($5), autographed by the whole cast. One day, it may actually be worth $5.50.

Go watch Titoudao. They extended the run till 31st March, so you have plenty of time. I think every Singaporean should at least see this once, and see how differently we lived, not more than 50 years ago.

Till not satisfied with the entertainment for the day, we went to watch the 9:45 showing of Stomp the Yard, a classic college story with some great stepshow sequences, delicious-looking brothers and an amazing soundtrack.

Midnight saw me sharing a cab with the hunky NSman Kenneth, who regaled me with stories of his camp and mates while my mind wandered of rememberance mode.

It was a good day to have lived. And is it any wonder I had to take MC the next day?

No comments: