Friday, March 30

I am going to India!!!

You may remember when I blogged about going to this audition for a "Roots" type TV show?

Well, guess what, folks. I got the gig!!! I, and about 13 others will be going on a all expenses paid trip to India to find out who our ancestors were and why they decided to make the long nauseating journey that ended in Singapore.

I am going in May, which means it will be stinking hot there, so if anyone wants to buy me one of those hand held electrical fans, now is a good time.

We are going to this little town calles Shirkali, which is in Tanjavur District, and hopefully I will find some homeboys who decided to stay put and breed like crazy.
It will also help if they have done some while outrageous thing, like build the town library or something. Of course, if they turn out to be the local mafia or something, that would be good too. I have always wanted to be famous.

So, if anyone has any advice for a girl on her first trip to that part of India, please let me know. Or and if you are from Shirkali, holla at me. Maybe we can hook up for a drink while I am there!

So exciting.

And Ah-neh, before you ask, yes, KLK has the exclusive scoop on the experience! :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nal, im eswari..hav been reading ur blog for some time..congrats on getting the gig!!hehe..isn't it interesting to actually go to india to find out about ur ancestors n their way of living n such...thats really cool...hope u hav a good time in india...I'll be going to india for a 3 weeks vacation at the end of the year for the very first time..hope u'll be able to share some of your experience n tips tips wit us...cheers!!!

Sangeeta said...

OH MY GOD!! NAL! thats FABULOUS!!! CONGRATS!

ah_neh said...

nal, u got laptop to blog on the fly or not? or you gonna do all the uploading only when you come back?

nAl said...

Eswari: thanks for reading my nonsense. And yes, I think it will be a blast, whether I find anyone or not. I will tell all, dont worry!

Sangee: Whee isn't it?? I excited much!

Ah_neh: No laptop all lah. Its a short trip, so I will either do the internet cafe thing, or do it all when I come back.

Kartik Kannan said...

Hey NAL that is Sirkazhi, If I am not mistaken :-). For a sec, I was wondering which new town was this in Thanjavur dist.

gP said...

amazing, something new after a long time. You are living the dreams of the millions who came out of India. Live it for us.

Safe journeys.

bhamsblog said...

Sirkazhi is a temple town, basically pretty rural compared to Thanjavur or Madurai. Ask for an appoint wth the local collector thru your organisers and it may be that they will unroll the red carpet!!!!!
Also loads of music in that city. You will have fun. let me kinow if you have a few hours in Chennai where I live and see if v can meet and I give u the low down...

nAl said...

Karthik: Yeah, thats the right spelling, but not alot of pple in this part of the world know how to pronounce "Zh" as a variant of L, hence the mispelling

Ghost Particle: (looking solemn) I will.

Bhamsblog: Hmmm, collector huh? I will suggest to the producer, although he did say he wanted it be au natural. I will be in Chennai on the 11 of May, but I don't know what our schedule is like. Will keep ya posted!

Honey Bee said...

Nal,
I hail from Trichy. Sirkazhi is around 200 kms from Trichy. Wish you the very best to find your ancestoral links here.

This town Sirkazhi has historical values. You will definitely enjoy your trip. BTW have you got your hand held fan?

nAl said...

Thanks Honey Bee!
No, I haven't, but thanks for the timely reminder!!