Tuesday, November 4

Book Review - Keeper of Dreams


I cannot express my joy at finding a copy of the collection of short stories by Orson Scott Card in the Woodlands Regional Library. I brought it home and devoured it about 4 days. All 22 stories.

I really loved the fact that Card released this anthology with a little bit of everything - a little sci fi, a little fantasy, a little drama, a little terror (as opposed to Horror, which is sick. Terror just terrifies you). And of course there are some Mormon stories, which was as much human interest as religious, so they were actually fun to read. I love the special appearances of Alvin Maker and Mack Street, characters from Card's previous novels.

Card is the consummate story-teller. His stories are meant to be read out loud, with a full cast of voices and sound effects. I can see most of them as great stage productions. I love that he makes his characters talk like regular people, even when the most irregular things are happening to them.

Read this book, people! It will entertain, sure, but it will make you think. My days have been filled with the wonderment of "what if" ever since.

No comments: