Monday, June 19

Friday was best!

Those of you who read my rant about the stupid camp comedy fest at Zouk a few weeks ago will understand my elation when I say - I saw Kumar on Friday!

Not just saw him, I got to go on stage, dirty dance with him, punch him in the arm and hear him tell me I am very articulate.

Sigh... I so happy.

The evening started out ordinarily enough. The wonderful man I am married to actually came all the way to the mrt station with a more club worthy outfit for me, which I changed in the MRT bathroom like some demented Superman. Casual Friday jeans and polo shirt just dont cut it when you are going to see the Diva of Drag!


Interesting side note - When you try and get people to meet you in the train (i.e hop in), unless you pick very easy and obvious spots like last carriage, last door, most people have no idea how to do this.
E.g, I tell Shanker green carriage from the back, second door, and the dear boy gets on at the 3rd door from the back. And I tell goke the same thing, and she cant even be bothered to walk towards me, even though she is only 2 doors away. Oh well...

Gold Dust

Albeit the pseudo seedy location (back of Orchard Towers), Gold Dust is actually quite a nice looking club. I love the dramatic stage, with the running lights and plush velvet curtains and gold trim. The podium is a lot less understated that the monstrocity at Zouk, and the waiters are oh so adorable. This one guy gave us prime front row seats, even though we did nothing to deserve it. I tipped him when it was my shout, just for that lovely smile he gave me. Spend it well, my friend.

The cabaret was good, not great, just good. I am probably spoilt by the spectacular shows that the queens put on at Options (top drag cabaret club in Brisbane.) Grogeous Nina of course was as funny as, (she and her sotong jokes, like sambal belachan, every show must have) and Kumar's tiny little cameo with that gay anthem (I will always love you) had us all spell bound. So tragic.

But the highlight of course was the second set, which was Kumar, Kumar and more Kumar. He is indeed the consummate perfomer and entertainer. Choice quotes are as follows:

To noisy heckler in the crowd - Shut up Bitch! People are working here!
To large group of office drunks - you all not bad ah, bring Indian people along also
To large Indian woman (who will go unnamed)- the North and South Pole ok, but the problem is the big equator around.
To drunk ang moh man trying to pick him up, thinking he was a woman - What do you think this is(pointing to adam's apple)? My ovaries?

I wish I could have gathered up the guts when Shanker asked if I would like to speak to him after the show. But alas, I did not have them. The guts. But next time, next time, I will. I think.

No comments: