Saturday, July 8

Happy Birthday Dad!

You took me swimming and taught me not to be afraid of getting water on my face or sand in my swimsuit.

You brought me to get my ears pierced when I was 5, and promised to buy me "Black Beauty" if I didn't cry. Well, I didn't and you did.

You used to braid my waist length hair into 2 long plaits and tie the ends with ribbons to match my clothes. And then kiss my forehead while you admired your handiwork.

You told me that it didn't matter to you what religion I adopted, as long as the reason wasn't because I like the name "Patricia" or "Hamidah".

You gave me my very first copy of the Mahabaratha when I was 8, and would spend hours discussing it with me.

You made me feel smart, beautiful and special. I thought you were the handsomest man in the world.

You did what you thought was the best thing for me when you sent me away. I know it hurt you to do it.

I love holding your hand when we go out. It's warm and strong and makes me feel secure.

I love it when you are drunk and sing off key and do your little dances that go with the songs.

I love that you mispronounce words like "charisma" and "tsunami", and don't bat an eyelid when I make fun of you.

I love it when you look at us, your kids, with unconditional love and pride in your eyes, even when we screw up.

I love you Dad! Happy 58th Birthday!

No comments: