Tuesday, July 4

Why Salsa Rocks My World (the dance, not the dip)

1) It's the most fun you can have with a partner with full body contact, to great rhythms and lots of passion, with no sexual intentions whatsoever.


2) I have the best instructor in the world. Kit is patient, funny and kinda cute. And he makes it look oh so easy. His only flaw is that he tends to lapse into Mandarin once in a while, but I think that's more to cater to the grassroots crowd at Bukit Ho Swee CC than anything else. And yes, though he looks like he bats for the other team, he is all man!Click here to link to his website.

3) The people in my class are really a fun bunch. Sam and Doris, Vivian, Edwin, Steven - you ALL rock! Good for us: there is an even number of guys and girls. In Kit's class, we all have to rotate partners, so we learn how to adapt to different leads and styles (and most importantly don't learn the mistakes!) In the whole class, there is only one couple that refuses to swap partners and insists on only dancing with one another.

4) Dancing really make me high. Something about the adrenalin rush, but I really feel like I can do anything when I am dancing. It's a good self-esteem boost! And we all need that at some point, right? - something that we know we excel at and get to showcase even if the audience is not very big. Yes, I am a natural born dancer and I love my newly acquired salsa skills.

My next challenge is to dance with someone not from my class. In class, we all learn the same routine, so we tend to follow the steps instead of improvising. But dancing with someone else will really put my skills to the test and see if I can follow someone's lead or not. Therein lies the rub.

So calling all salseros! If you wanna take a Salsa nooB (20 lessons only) and let her practise being a good follower, please tag me eh?

**Update: I was told by one of my readers that my rant about one of my classmates was unfair because I don't know her enough to comment. So as not to offend my reader's sensibilities, I will remove the comment.

But dear reader, even when a blog is public, it is still someone's personal opinions and musings. If you cannot handle the occasion rant, then maybe blog reading is not for you.

No comments: