Wednesday, July 5

I am Singaporean

Mr Brown just started this Iamsingapore meme, so here is my contribution.

I am singaporean.
Past
Born in 73.
Had one brother because that time, must stop at 2.
Lived in army quarters before moving to brand new 5 room flat in Ang Mo Kio.
Watched National Day fireworks every year from my window till they built Bishan.
Used to spend allowance Saturdays at mama shop deciding between Chiclets or Bubba Yum. Bubba Yum won hands down. Until they banned it cos it spoilt the train doors.
Spent every recess playing zero point. Until they banned it because it was "too dangerous".
We took Bus 166 to Tekka every friday to go to temple and eat thosai.
Going to secondary school was 2 bus transfers to Yishun, but no sweat, because got bus pass.
We spent the journey listening to "mix tapes" on our walkman, that we recorded off 98.7 FM
Went to Polytechnic, but kena sabo because still must get degree.
So went to study in Australia.
Came back with Singaporean accent intact.



Current
Have a son born in 99.
He has no siblings, cos his parents cannot imagine supporting another mouth.
Lived in rental flat before buying 5 room HDB resale.
Couldn't watch NDP because cannot find tickets for love or money. And our flat's window is blocked by 4000 other high rise buildings.
Spend salary on food, bills, taxi fare and HDB loans. Got chewing gum also, no money to buy.
My son plays Xbox and PS2.
We take the MRT to church and eat pasta.
We pass the journey by listening to our ipods and watch movies on mobile media players.
My son goes to Pri One, brings back homework EVERYDAY. And his written Tamil is even better than mine.
Thanks to TV and my American husband, he speaks English with an American accent.

I am Singaporean. I take the bad with the good. Not perfect, but not condemned either.

Technorati tag:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zero point was banned??

nAl said...

In my neighbourhood school it was. almost overnight.