Tuesday, July 11

Old People, New People

I realised today that taking the time to keep in touch with friends is really hard work. I was going through my phonebook on the train. (As in the phonebook in my mobile while I was on the train. I don't keep a phonebook on the train. Do I really have to explain this?)

I was just basically doing some housekeeping, and found some names that have all but passed from memory. Preman, yes, I promise we will do the coffee thing. Lisa, I know 3 Saturdays have gone by since I said we will talk on Saturday. I have no excuses. Aunty Shanti, I still owe you that hi-tea, I have not forgotten. And Prebhu, thanks for your persistant smses, or I would have felt very bad coming across your name under the "Ps".

Investing in friends really takes work man. You have to call them, find that sliver of time in each other's schedules where you can meet, find new things to talk about, try not to get jealous of new friendships/ relationships and finally make the effort again in another 3 months.

So to all my friends, those I contact, and those I don't, you are all alive and well in my mobile phonebook.

I have a new resolution for July. That I will call/sms at least one old friend a day just to touch base and say hi. And from there, hopefully they will reciprocate.

No comments: