Sunday, October 15

Murukku



It was a lazy weekend. I stayed in bed till 5:30 and then mosied my way over to my mum's to make murukku for Deepavali. This is usually a family affair - ladies only. And not everyone is involved in the making of the murukku. For instance, only Aunty Tami knows how to use the medieval contraption that squeezes the dough out into the oil. Aunty Agnes is in charge of monitoring the doneness of each piece, lifting them out and laying them out on the kitchen towels. I am the stacker - arrange carefully in a spiral in the tin when cooled. Mum just made sure everyone's throats were well moistened with fresh cups of your preferred beverage. Absent this year were Shalini, who is swotting for "O" levels and Aunty Ruba, who .. err, what happened to you, Athai?

But more than our hands, it's our mouths that got the real workout. Who gave birth, who died, who married who (Surya and Jo), who divorced who, whose marriage is on the rocks, who is patching up - no subject was too sacred.

For 4 hours, the 4 of us stood around a greasy electric wok, smelling like oil and murukku and caught up on every human relationship we knew. That's the beauty of talking to women in your family versus your friends. There is no competition - for men, for beauty or for intelligence. Its just true mutual admiration and love, the melding of hearts over the most menial of tasks.

I love this annual activity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You seem to have no problems giving lectures to others on how to behave and how they should change to fit in your precious Singaporean lifestyle (your previous rant).But when it comes to you, you can steal other bloggers photos and publish them without any credit or link.

I know this photo is from Indira of Mahanandi fame foodblog. Didn't you check her copyright message before stealing one of her photos? All preach and no apply, huh? Shame on you!

Is this how a typcial SIngaporean behaves? What happened to your manners? Shouldn't you respect her copyright message and not to steal her photo? Or do you think just because it's avilable on the web, you are free to steal and publish as your own?

nAl said...

Thanks Sunil, for reading my blog and caring enough to comment on my apparent photo theft.

In my defense, I will say that if I had really intended to steal the pic, I would have re-saved it on my hard drive before uploading to blogger.

But you see, of course, that I have not done that. In fact, that's probably how you deduced that this photo was from her blog. Well done with the detective work!

Also, in reponse to you "all preach and no apply", I don't see anywhere in that rant, that I address the copyright issue. I would appreciate contextual criticism please.

And Indira, if you see this, I love your blog and I think you are culinary genius.