Monday, October 2

Product Launch - Terrorist Attack

I attended a product launch by one of my company's main partners on Friday. The brand name will go unmentioned for reasons that will be obvious soon.

The launch had a military theme. The invites came in manila envelopes with Top Secret printed in bold across them. The contents boldly demanded that we attend the "mobilisation".

So far so good. We were all milling around in the reception area, under camouflage nets and green tents. All the staff were dressed in green army supple Tshirts and camouflage pants or skirts. With the exception on the vodka shot girls of course. What is a product launch without women in tiny shorts and midriff baring, barely breathing tight Tees dropping vodka shots in the mouths of open-mouthed guests?

And then, the lights went off. Someone started a strobe light, and we saw a man in a ski mask with what looks like a Soviet machine gun from WWI. He then opens fire at the audience, and tells us to go to the event room for "interrogation".

I don't know about the rest, but for a minute, I was quite alarmed. Strobe lights are scary in them selves, but seeing a ski masked gunman clinb onto a platform, take aim at me and fire away literally made me almost soil myself.

We live in paranoid times, with the danger of terrorism everywhere. Gunned soldiers are patrolling our train stations, for Pete's sake. Don't you think its highly inappropriate to have a product launch to a terrorist theme?

Or is it just me?

No comments: