Thursday, January 11

Baaaa!

Consider the sheep.

Sheep are kinda dumb animals. Left to their own devices, they can't even get a drink of water. The tend to do whatever other sheep are doing. Ever seen sheep jump over an imaginary obstacle? They sure look funny doing it, but they are just following the leader.

Sheep also get bugged. By flies that is. They get into their nose, their eyes, their ears and even lay their nasty eggs in the sheep's wool. The poor sheep not only cannot complain, but can die from this. But most of the time, the flies are just darn annoying.

Sheep also are poorly equipped to get themselves outta trouble. While most sheep kinda quietly follow the leader and the rest of the flock, there is always one frisky little fella who wants to know whats in that crevass or in that ditch. And when he falls into the darkness, he neither has the strength of legs to climb back out, nor the strength of voice to yell for help.

So basically its up to the shepherd to take care of the sheep. He finds places for the sheep to find grass and water. He picks treats like berries and tasty leaves and places them on a little plateau for the sheep to enjoy. He poured a special medicated oil on the sheep so the flies will leave it alone. He uses the rod to beat away predators like wolves that love lamb chops. And the staff or crook, he uses to scoop out frisky lambs from little nooks and corners.

But what if the shepherd did more?

What if the shepherd was so happy to find that frisky lamb, that he threw a party for all his friends? Over a lamb! And it wasnt the main course either!

What if the shepherd knew the names of all the 1000+ sheep he had and lovingly called them by name everytime he lead them out?

What if the shepherd realised that the sheep had no recourse from the wolves and offered himself to be killed so that the sheep will never be harmed again!

You gotta be kidding, I hear you say! Who is gonna go through all of that for a dumb ol sheep?

Now read this:

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

The 23rd Psalm

No comments: