Monday, January 29

Losing a friend to greener pastures

This has been stressing me out for the the past week, and now that it's been made official, I can finally vent about it.

My boss just tendered her resignation. What does this mean for me? No, it doesn't mean a promotion for Nalinee, because firstly I am not ready for that kinda workload and secondly, this is not the kind of organisation that will promote er... non-homogenous staff.

No, what it means is this.

1) I will lose the only person in this company who speaks my language. English. By choice.

2) The only person who gets me, gets my puns, my jokes and pop cultural references.
Example 1
Rainy day. Pouring. I come in and announce,
Nal: Doesn't this weather just whet your appetite?
Joyce: Ha ha ha ha, so corny!!
Everyone else: Wet your appetite? How can your appetite get wet? You mean your tapau breakfast got wet in the rain huh?
Nalinee: Thank you Joyce!

Example 2
Big Boss: Nowsaday, we need to blah blah blah
Nal(snickering, whispers): NowSaday?
Joyce(snickering): sssshhh, don't get me started!
Everyone else: Funny meh?

3) Joyce is sort of like a self repairing shield. She shields me from the crap that hurtles our way from the other departments, and only allows important radio signals and hails to go through, while all the asteroid dust and crap get deflected off her.
So when the shield fails or disappears, what happens? Yes, the Enterprise is in deep danger from damage. Unless I engage warp speed and get the hell away.

4) Joyce, Ashley and I are the only Christians in the company, and Joyce leaving is a 33% decrease in prayers, hopes and shared beleifs and values. Yes, it makes a difference.

5) I am a big picture person. Joyce is a nitty gritty person. Between the 2 of us, we managed to do a bang up job with all our projects and deliverables. When she's gone, I expect I will have to be both. Waaah!

I will miss our lunches together, our shared alliances and enemies, the way it was marketing against the world. I will miss talking about our kids, their various blessings and issues. I will miss your pragmatic world view on things like planning, finances and family, and I will miss shocking you with my unplanning, non controlled, "God will take care of me" attitude. I will miss your running around like a chicken with its head cut off and mindless panic attacks about nothing.

I hope you miss me too.

No comments: