Sunday, January 7

Scene from "As Good as it Gets"

INT. MELVIN'S APARTMENT - LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

Melvin walks in anxious circles in the living room. He
is impatient.

MELVIN
You going to come talk to me or
not?

SIMON
I'm coming.

He enters the room carrying Verdell who strains to be
allowed closer to Melvin. Simon releases him.

SIMON
What did she say?

MELVIN
I'm a great guy --
"extraordinary"...
(before Simon can
celebrate)
... and she doesn't want contact
with me.
(a beat)
I'm dying here.

SIMON
Because...
(gently)
... you love her?

MELVIN
(sharply)
No... and you're supposed to be
sensitive and sharp.

SIMON
Okay... you tell me why --
(mimics him)
"You're dying here."

MELVIN
I don't know... Let me sleep on it
and figure it out.
(then)
Because I'm stuck! Can't go back
to what I had... She's evicted me
from my life.

SIMON
Did you like it that much?

MELVIN
(furiously)
It was better than this... Look,
you, I'm very intelligent. If
you're going to give me advice or
conversation or consolation or
hope, you got to be better than
you're doing. If you can't be at
least momentarily interesting than
shut the hell up. I'm drowning
and you're describing water.


*********************************************

Lately I have been feeling like this conversation. So many questions in my head and yet, so many meaningles, insipid answers.

At the end of this scene, Mervin goes to his lady love's house at 3 in the morning and convinces her to give him a shot.

What's my parallel action? And what can I do with the people who insist on describing the water when I feel like I am drowning?

No comments: