Monday, January 8

A Quiet Saturday Night at Bar None

It was a strange Saturday night. No one wanted to go out. My brother claimed there was an important soccer match on, and none of my other friends felt like going out. So I did something I have never done before - I went out on a night on the town, by myself. Its something I used to do in Australia, but have never tried in Singapore.

It was strangely liberating. For one, I did not have to take care of someone else. You know, the incessant "Are you hungry? Are you thirsty? Do you want to dance?" questions that you have to ask out of politeness, when you really don't give a rat's arse about the answers.

Bar None too, was kinda quiet. Because of the small audience, the band Energy, sadly lacked the very thing they were named for. They were technically correct and didnt miss a chord in U2's Vertigo, but there was a obvious lack of passion and pizazz. Sorry guys, you know I love you.

I met a few interesting people. There was this Singaporean guy with his wife and colleague, who was in Singapore for about 14 days in a year. The rest of the time, he is travelling, doing business development for some company.

And there was this guy, who was wearing a jumper and carrying a small foldable umbrella in his pocket. I couldn't resist. I went up to him and said.. you can guess what I said. When he had finished laughing, he said he just arrived from England, where a jumper and an umbrella were part of your daily weather arsenal. Fair enough.
We had a good conversation about... yah.. the weather. Sad huh? But since I wasn't looking to pick anyone up, it was ok. Insipid conersations were all I could handle anyway.

I hung out and drank about 5 gin and tonics and some other strange concoctions, coutesy of my new friends, and at about 2, decided to call it a night. I walked over to the nearby 7-11, got one of their lovely chicken roll thingies and happily walked to a waiting cab and went home. It was so quiet out on the street too. I guess everyone was still recovereing from the New Year's Eve.

It was fun. I would do it again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi- just came across ur blog. isnt it amazing how down here- it seemsstrange to be out by urself? ppl call it being loserish i tot tt myself too at one pt... and then after a while, u dun quite give a rat's ass abt it...haha... thanks for that post.. i know im not alone. cheers -shan

nAl said...

Thanks for dropping by, Shan. Maybe we will run into each other one day, and then we can clink glasses and laugh at all the needy people.

Come by again, ok?

ah_neh said...

I'm a bit late to this discussion but what about those who watch movies alone?

I've never looked at those people favourably though I know me, music, alcohol and solitude is A-ok.