Wednesday, January 10

It still happens

I remember the first time it happened.

I was nine and the only Indian girl in my Primary 3 class. I didn't fit in with my Chinese classmates because they were not very friendly. So I lived for Tamil class and recess, when I will see all my friends again.

But my mother kept encouraging me to make friends with some of my Chinese classmates, saying that I should learnt to mingle and thus pick their brains. So I tried.

I went up to this squat, rather boyish girl the next day, and said, "Hey, wanna play zero-point?"

And she turned around and said point blank, "My mother said I cannot play with Indian children because they all very dirty and have kutu (headlice)."

I was embarrassed and dismayed. I damn near cried right then. My classmates started giggling and pointed at my hip-length braids, "Yah, so long, her hair. Sure got kutu!"

I didn't say a word to anyone for the rest of the day. When I got home, I told my mother to take me to the hair salon and cut my hair - short. As short as a boy's.

Slowly she extracted the story from me. With great maternal indignation, she came to school the next day (in her nurse's uniform - my mom had style), spoke to my teacher about the incident, and got me a public apology from all my tormenters.

Later that year, I made friends with Rosalind Chong, a shy but brillant girl from the same class, and we stayed friends till PSLE.

**************************************************
Present

On Monday, we had our first meeting for our company dinner and dance. We were supposed to present a skit item to our colleagues and I had painstakingly re-written the Cinderella story with a localised twist.

One of the required props was a turban for the prince. I informed my colleagues that I had one, from a play I did before and would be happy to lend it to them.

The prince, played by a 34 year old division manager, casually asked,"Yours ah? You got wear before or not? Inside got kutu how? Make sure you clean first ah!"

I was speechless. Amidst the laughter, I sat stock still with a stony stare on my face. Finally they got it, that I didn't think it was funny. Once there was silence, I calmly moved on to the next topic of discussion, totally ignoring the question and the person who asked it.

********************************************************

Our society has so much growing up to do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

and they say we live in racial harmony.... they say that celebrating one day ' racial harmony day' is all it takes to display the 'togetherness'. ive had those moments too, nal. And they hurt like crap. THey still invite tears of frustration at points (even when you blink them back fiercely, in fear that that wd be a symbol o defeat).... oh well........
-shan

nAl said...

I hear you loud and clear, shan.
I think we just have to either keep educating, or give up and care less.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl!! I think next time that happens, you need to just quote my favorite lines from "White Chicks". People are stupid. I honestly dont think racial discrimination will EVER cease in this world! Girl, you are BEAUTIFUL, INTELLIGENT, and BETTER than any idiot who wants to throw insults your way!!

Love ya, Betty

Madame Mahima said...

sorry im late for this post...but yea it stinks...ive encountered other such stupidity too
(i did a post a while back on my friend telling me that indians were stinky..)
i guess in these cases we have to be the better person and hope that better sense will prevail..one day.