Thursday, January 18

Restaurant Review - Jack's Place

Yesterday, I felt meaty. Now, before you get all in my face with the fat jokes, let me clarify. Our diet has been containing alot of carbo lately, so I thought meat might make a nice change.

So we went to everyone's favourite (and inexpensive) steak house, Jack's Place. Jack's, interestingly enough, was founded by a Chinese busboy, who learnt how to cook from his British bosses in the Royal Army, when they still had a base here.

But they sure know how to do a good steak. Otrie had the most scrumptious looking fillet mignon, with a side of coriader butter. It musta been good, because he devoured it in about 7 minutes flat.

I had the mixed grill. My meat fixation was not specific enough to decide what kind of meat I wanted, so I thought, why have just one. The steak that came with my meal was a little bloodier than I like, but the succulent lamb chop, chicken fillet and bacon more than made up for it. Hanan stole my egg :(

Hanan had what was on the menu as a minute steak. That raised a good 10 min argument between Otrie and me. He insisted it's a minute (as in time measurement) steak, cos it cooked so fast, and I maintained it was a minute (as in small) steak, cos it was, well, small. We asked our waitress but she just laughed nervously at us, so she either didn't know the answer or didn't understand the question.

Anyone care to enlighten me on this point?

It was a good meal. The lobster stuffed mushrooms we had as starters were fabulous, and didn't look too difficult to replicate at home. But meanwhile, I am just fed, dumb and happy.

Update: It's minute. As in measurement of time. Cos it cooks fast. Oh well.

4 comments:

Rhys said...

Sorry! Otrie is right! It is minute (as in measurement in time) steak. It is because it's very tender and can be cook very quickly.

Not sure if it can be cooked in a minute, nor if I'd eat it in a minute. But that's why it's called minute steak.

Rhys said...

Grrr...just saw the update! Oh well, sorry for repeating!

Sounds like a wonderful meal :) I've only had a mixed grill once, and I felt ill after it. So much food!

Never heard of an egg on a mixed grill, but the restaurant I had my mixed grill was not exactly high quality!

Anonymous said...

hi there-
read ur blog again...
well i went to jack's place last yr for me anniversary but you know what- i didnt quite enjoy the food. went to the parkway parade outlet. service was not gd. food was very so-so. didnt feel satisfied! yeah.. was pretty disappointed...

-shan

nAl said...

Rhys: No worries about repeating man. I am still in denial about it anyway.

And the egg thing, I think its particular to Singapore. Where the extra egg on top is like value add or somthing.

Shan: Yeah, it's like that sometimes. Like how all my friends rave about Cafe Cartel, yet I have never had a satisfactory meal there and wouldn't recommend it to my worse enemy.