Tuesday, January 16

Swing dancing Monday

Yesterday, I went with a bunch of friends to our first swing dance lesson.

The best thing about swing has to be the music. The minute the teacher puts the music on, you can't help but move or at very least tap your feet. And that's before you have learnt a single step. Somehow your sould just connects you know.

We did the basic moves (basic step, the lindy circle and the jockey) in about 1/2 hour and spent the rest of the lesson learning the variations and horsing around.
Sam and JJ, the only guys from our group, were so adorable doing the steps. I love the way they panic about one little thing and totally lose the plot for the rest of the routine. We were weaker from laughing than the exercise.

After swing class, we went to the nearby Maxwell Market to have a drink. It was about 10. My feet were killing me, and I told myself, I have to take a cab home. My friend Angie said she would share one with me.

And, wouldn't you know it, every cab in the area either had a passenger or an "on call" sign. Of course, they weren't really on call, they just do it, so people waiting would have to call, and the cabbies make more money.

Anyone who lives in Singapore knows this phenomenon. Usually takes place from 10pm to midnight. Cos after midnight, they make 50% above the metre charges, don't they?

I almost caved and called a cab, when Angie stopped me. She reminded me that we have't prayed for a cab yet. Shamefacedly, I cried out to the air, "Please God, send us a cab. I am tired and I wanna go home!" Yep, I was whining, but if you can't whine to your Father, who can you whine to?

Then, an empty Mercedes Limo pulled up. He wound down the window, and said, "Where to?" Bracing myself for the worst, I said, in a small squeaky voice, "Woodlands?"

And he said, "Get in."

I almost couldn't move. Angie casually walked up and opened the door, like this happens to her everyday. I meekly followed her in.

Turns out the cabbie was calling it a day and going home and he lives a 10 min WALK away from me.

I tell you, when God provides, He does it with style.

No comments: